My younger sister is 28 years old. She lives in my house and I pay for more than 50% of her expenses (food, clothing... everything). Her income in 2018 was $7,000 for the year. She is a waitress.

Can I indicate her as my dependent or not?

  • 2
    Tax questions require a country tag. Are you in the U.S.? Feb 5, 2019 at 22:59

1 Answer 1


No, you cannot. She would fail the gross income test, which is limited at $4,150. If she earns that amount or more, she cannot be claimed as a dependent given your relationship.

The IRS provides a tool to help you decide if you can claim somebody as a dependent. You should use that tool to plug in specific information to verify that you cannot claim her as a dependent.

  • Thanks that's what i thought just wasnt sure
    – john
    Feb 5, 2019 at 21:22
  • i was going to accept this answer. but there is no accept button
    – john
    Feb 5, 2019 at 21:40
  • 1
    I think you have to wait 24 hours to accept if you are a new contributor.
    – Ron Beyer
    Feb 5, 2019 at 23:49
  • @john if you are the one who asked the question, it looks like you asked using a different account than the one you are using to comment, which is why there is no accept button.
    – yoozer8
    Feb 6, 2019 at 14:53
  • i see i posted question without logging in to stackoverflow. it let me post it for some reason then i logged
    – john
    Feb 6, 2019 at 18:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .