As an Italian citizen, if I open a company outside Italy (for example, a LLC in US) and operate strictly online, will I still have to pay business taxes on the income of this foreign company to the Italian government?

Since I live in Italy, of course I need to pay my personal income tax in Italy, including the money that I receive from this company.

My doubt is about business taxation on the money that my foreign business receive, not me.

Details: I am Italian and I am thinking in opening a LLC in US for my cloud computing company.

My initial understanding is that US-based companies must pay business taxes on US, but the Italian law isn't clear on that and it seems to try to apply business taxes on foreign companies when owned by Italians, even when those companies are not based on Italy.


Which income will be taxed in Italy

Are you living in Italy?

You must pay tax on your worldwide income there. (criteria: you are in the Population Registry as having lived there for at least 183 consecutive days over a 12-month period or your life is centred there)

Are you living in Italy for less than 183 consecutive days over a 12-month period?

You pay tax only on the income you earned in Italy.

Do you receive income from other EU countries?

Make sure you never pay tax twice on the same income.


| improve this answer | |
  • I really appreciate the reference, thanks! Unfortunately it is clarifying only the part about personal income tax. My doubt is about business taxation on the money that my foreign business receive, not me. Anyway, great reference. – Paulo Coghi Mar 13 '19 at 12:43
  • Adding just a link at the end of your answer, is not the proper way of providing a reference. We expect you to use external sources only to reference a post which you have written in your own words. Please edit the post and rewrite the answer, or leave the reference as a comment on the post. – JTP - Apologise to Monica Mar 13 '19 at 15:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.