When reporting to the Social Security Administration do I report gross income or the total after tax deductions? I will be holding the amount for taxes until "tax season". I report monthly to the SSA and they withhold certain benefits depending on the amount I earn.

  • By "tax deductions" do you mean "tax withholdings"? – D Stanley Jan 28 '19 at 23:25

If you're taking about SSI Wage Reporting, then you would report wages before tax withholdings (and before other payroll deductions):

If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and you or your deemor (e.g. your ineligible spouse or parent(s) with whom you live) work, then either you or your representative payee must report the gross wages to Social Security. You should consistently report wages during the first six days of the month to help prevent overpayments and underpayments.

| improve this answer | |
  • I looked but couldn't find that page you linked to. Thanks. I've up-voted you for the correct answer. Enjoy...! – Daniel Jan 29 '19 at 21:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.