I am 78 years old. I collect Social Security, and am on Medicare, and also work part time paying SS and Medicare premiums.

Since Medicare is being deducted from my SS every month, can I get refunded the Medicare premiums I am paying from my part time job?


You are not paying SS and Medicare premiums from your part-time wages; you are paying SS and Medicare taxes that are imposed on wages, and there is no way of avoiding those taxes. If your income is above a certain level, you are also paying monthly Medicare premiums that are being deducted from your monthly Social Security benefit check. You cannot get a refund of the Medicare taxes that are being withheld from your part-time wages, and you cannot get a refund of your Medicare premiums either.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.