Last year i needed to buy a car, but my credit was bad atm, so my girlfriend at the time let me use her credit to buy it. Now almost 2 years later i have to buy a diferent car so i can take out of the title. My question is, can i go and buy a car and turn mine in even if my car is under her name? Does she have to be present?

  • 1
    Your girlfriend's name is on both the car title and the loan paperwork? – Ben Miller - Reinstate Monica Dec 13 '18 at 21:11
  • 1
    Right we will first need to know which names are on the title, i.e. who has ownership of the car, and which names are on the loan, i.e. who is financially responsible for the car. As it generally goes, the person who applies for financing typically goes on the title. We'd need to know if you are on the title. – CKM Dec 13 '18 at 21:17
  • 4
    The title says "refinance" but the body of the question, "buy a difference car". No offense intended, just trying to clarify. When it comes to personal finance, the exact details are important. – JTP - Apologise to Monica Dec 13 '18 at 22:30

If we deconstruct the question to its constituent pieces, it sounds like you want to discharge the loan on your (ex-girlfriend’s) existing car, sell it and take out a loan to buy a new car.

Well, you are allowed to pay off the loan on the old car, subject to early discharge conditions. You are also allowed to apply for a loan on the new car. But if the old car is not in your name, it isn’t yours to sell.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.