I'm an international grad student in the US, and according to the tax treaty the US has with my country, my fellowship is tax exempt. However, I forgot to file the W8 form with my university, so for 2018, they have withheld all my taxes.

How can I now claim the benefits of my tax treaty? Will the amount withheld be automatically returned by the IRS?


You will have to wait until 2019, file a tax return, and claim the exemption there. You should get a refund.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.