Would I be taxed on money gift from abroad? Consider the amount is larger than 100k. If yes, what is the rate? If no, do I still have to file some particular tax form on it as well?

2 Answers 2


The US gift tax is to be paid by the giftor, not the recipient. So you should not be taxed for that gift in any way.

  • It's an interesting question, I wonder how the US authorities would "deal with that" ?
    – Fattie
    Dec 10, 2018 at 13:55
  • @Fattie As the giftor is NOT US Tax resident; the rules don't apply to the giftor. So if you are thinking IRS would chase a Non Resident, it is not the case.
    – Dheer
    Dec 11, 2018 at 9:45
  • You're sure? It's commonplace that the IRS declares a person/entity "US connected".
    – Fattie
    Dec 11, 2018 at 10:47

It turns out that you must report it.


"The IRS requires U.S. taxpayers to file Form 3520..."

Unsurprisingly there are a number of "traps" ..

"For example, foreign family members should not make “gifts” to their U.S. family members from a foreign corporation, since the IRS will consider such transfers to be taxable corporate dividends that cannot qualify as tax-free gifts."


"However, separate IRS regulations require recipients to report a foreign cash gift. IRS Form 3520 is required if you receive more than $100,000 from a nonresident alien or a foreign estate. In addition, gifts from foreign corporations or partnerships are subject to a lower threshold that is adjusted for inflation each year. For 2016, gifts of more than $15,671 trigger the filing requirement. You won't owe any tax as a result of filing these documents. However, failing to file them can result in IRS penalties."

You can google many entries on this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.