I live in State A where I have my home address. My work location is in State B. I also do work from home. When I travel, I stay in hotel.

Will my state tax fall in State A or State B? Can travel/hotel expenses can be deducted in the year end filing?

  • 4
    Can you add the states involved. There are different regulations that each state follow. – Dheer Dec 3 '18 at 4:23
  • Possible (unanswered) duplicate: money.stackexchange.com/q/99096/36669 – yoozer8 Dec 3 '18 at 12:57
  • Does your employer pay for any of the hotel or transportation when you are working out of state? – mhoran_psprep Dec 3 '18 at 21:16
  • No, I will have to pay by myself. – goofyui Dec 3 '18 at 22:06
  • Needs a bit of clarification about what you mean by "travelling employee". When you say "work location", is that where you actually work, or do you travel to different job sites? As I did working construction jobs: in any year I might work jobs in half a dozen states. But IIRC I paid non-resident taxes to the state where the company headquarters was (even though I never did any work in that state), and would have paid resident taxes to my home state, except that it doesn't have income tax. – jamesqf Dec 4 '18 at 4:48

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.