An uncle of mine passed away and I will receive a small amount of money shortly.

The amount will be considerably less than the $100,000 amount of IRS form 3520 (albeit this is not a gift as such).

As far as I am aware, the US does not impose taxes on a small amount inherited by a US citizen (living in the USA) from a foreign relative (who lived in Ireland and had no connection with the USA).

However, I am not sure of the reporting requirements. I have no issue with any of the reporting, I am just not sure what they are.

The money will be wired directly to my account.

Do I have FBAR/FinCEN reporting requirements? Any others?

Information & suggestions for research appreciated.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.