If I work less than a year (6 months) and I earn 26,000 per annum. However, I didn't work before, therefore in March the overall amount will be apox. 13,000. Am I entitled to the tax return as they deduct the tax off my salary monthly?

  • 5
    Please add a country tag, as how tax withholding is managed varies widely. Nov 15 '18 at 0:20
  • 1
    The answer depends on how much is withheld - you may want to add that too (along with the country tag, of course).
    – void_ptr
    Nov 15 '18 at 0:22
  • 2
    also please specify the start date so we can understand the significance of March. Nov 15 '18 at 0:22
  • Hi new user. Yes, IF you paid more tax than you had to, yes you will get it back. But be careful - the taxman always finds some reason you have to pay more. You know? But yes in THEORY you would get back any excess.
    – Fattie
    Nov 15 '18 at 3:38
  • If you are in the UK (clues: use of "March": tax year runs 6th April to 5th April ~= "end of March"; plus use of "per annum") then yes you should either get (or be able to claim) the money back after the end of the tax year; or -- if you continue working -- they may reduce the next years tax deductions to compensate.
    – TripeHound
    Nov 15 '18 at 7:40

The amount of taxes withheld in a period will be based on your income for the period extrapolated out to an entire year, and taking into account the number of allowances you claimed. So if you only work 6 months, and have no other income, then your total income for the year will be less than what your wihholdings were based on, and you probably will get a refund.

However, you won't know for sure until you actually file your tax return and calculate the amount due taking into account all deductions, exemptions, credits, and wihholdings. It's possible that you claimed too many exemptions on your W-4 and had less tax withheld than you should have, and would then owe tax when you file.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.