These are standardized contracts that allow you to bet on the future price of assets - commodities, stocks etc You can even buy a right to purchase a stock on a certain date or the reverse, force someone else to buy it (call and put). The assets aren't being traded directly - rather the contracts are.

Since they are standardized they must have names and types - wanted to know what those names/types were?

As an example: typically, in the shipping industry you see 'Freight on Board' and 'Delivery Duty Paid' being used - these are called Incoterms and they are also standardized contracts to enable importer, exporter and banks to do business. Similarly, I want to know the names being used for the Options and Futures markets.

Here's another example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stock_futures

In finance, a single-stock future (SSF) is a type of futures contract between two parties to exchange a specified number of stocks in a company for a price agreed today (the futures price or the strike price) with delivery occurring at a specified future date, the delivery date. The contracts are traded on a futures exchange.

What are the contracts? Do they have any distinguishing nomenclature?

  • 1
    Have you considered going to a market website and doing some basic research yourself? They all are listed on whatever exchange they trade, you know. – TomTom Nov 4 '18 at 14:12
  • Do you mean like "GC3" and so on ??? – Fattie Nov 4 '18 at 19:56

For a list of US exchanges, google "List of futures exchanges"

For a list of contract symbols, google "Futures contracts symbols"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.