These are standardized contracts that allow you to bet on the future price of assets - commodities, stocks etc You can even buy a right to purchase a stock on a certain date or the reverse, force someone else to buy it (call and put). The assets aren't being traded directly - rather the contracts are.

Since they are standardized they must have names and types - wanted to know what those names/types were?

As an example: typically, in the shipping industry you see 'Freight on Board' and 'Delivery Duty Paid' being used - these are called Incoterms and they are also standardized contracts to enable importer, exporter and banks to do business. Similarly, I want to know the names being used for the Options and Futures markets.

Here's another example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stock_futures

In finance, a single-stock future (SSF) is a type of futures contract between two parties to exchange a specified number of stocks in a company for a price agreed today (the futures price or the strike price) with delivery occurring at a specified future date, the delivery date. The contracts are traded on a futures exchange.

What are the contracts? Do they have any distinguishing nomenclature?

  • 1
    Have you considered going to a market website and doing some basic research yourself? They all are listed on whatever exchange they trade, you know. – TomTom Nov 4 '18 at 14:12
  • Do you mean like "GC3" and so on ??? – Fattie Nov 4 '18 at 19:56

For a list of US exchanges, google "List of futures exchanges"

For a list of contract symbols, google "Futures contracts symbols"

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .