My daughter and I are US citizens and we reside in Moscow, RF. My former wife and the mother of my daughter died recently. She was a US citizen and was living in the USA. Due to her mother's loss, my daughter is eligible for a SS pension.

According to SS administrators, in order to get the pension, I must have a US bank account because the pension funds can only be transferred to the account of a legal guardian. I do not have any US banking accounts nor am I a current US resident.

Is there a way to settle the issue of receiving the funds and avoid my having to go to the USA to physically apply and open a bank account?

  • Hi, Maksim. Could you clear up one point, please? You say you're a US citizen, but that you don't have US residency. Do you perhaps mean that you don't have a US residential address? Commented Oct 14, 2018 at 19:35
  • To Rupert Morrish: Yes, this is exactly what I meant by saying that I don't have a residency. I do not have a residential address in the USA. Commented Oct 14, 2018 at 20:16
  • It may be worth a visit to some banks that have a presence in both countries (HSBC seem to, not sure if there are others) and seeing if they can help. Commented Oct 15, 2018 at 3:00
  • See the Social Security Administration's booklet Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States.
    – Ben Miller
    Commented Nov 16, 2018 at 18:09

1 Answer 1


According to the Social Security Administration's FAQ, there is no general requirement to have your funds deposited in a US-based bank; you just need to live in a country where the SSA can send benefits. A quick glance suggests Russia is one of those countries, so I would contact the SSA to figure out the details of setting up such internationals deposits.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .