We're throwing a BIG party next year. Our friends have agreed to contribute.

The total cost of the party comes to £20,000. Our friends will contribute £15,000 and we will subsidise the rest.

This is not a business venture and we will not be making a profit.

As large amounts of money is being dealt with, do we need to set up a business? Is there a way that this can be "gifted"?

As I run a business separate to this, should I inform HMRC?

  • 7
    The real question is, how does one receive an invitation to said party?
    – BobbyScon
    Sep 25, 2018 at 21:04
  • @BobbyScon Ha ha, I knew that one was coming!
    – Sam
    Sep 26, 2018 at 8:05

1 Answer 1


There’s no need to set up a business for this. Gifts between friends are, to a first approximation, tax free; the only thing would be that if your friends then died within 7 years the gift would form part of their estate (tapered over the 7 years) for inheritance tax purposes. All the info about this side of things is covered here.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .