Last week my wife let in an alarm salesman that she had spoken to earlier in the day and asked me to sit down with him. I have no internet at home so he showed me a set of good reviews on his phone and their A+ on BBB. My wife has been wanting an alarm system so I took their $100 cash and agreed to let them install their "free" system.

System is installed, we paid the first $39.99 monitoring fee and they are wanting me to sign their paperwork to start our 5 year contract. I started to not feel good about this and looked them up for myself and found that they have bad reviews most everywhere but Google. I want to back out/save myself from this situation. If this is possible, how can I? Thank you for taking your time to help me with my bout of stupidity.

  • 3
    If you haven't signed a contract yet, you still have options. – Ben Voigt Sep 25 '18 at 0:26
  • Which state are you in? What have you signed already? – Ben Miller - Remember Monica Sep 25 '18 at 0:28
  • @BenMiller, I am in Arizona. – LordMartlet Sep 25 '18 at 0:31
  • 1
    @BobbyScon "Consumer issues or consumer protections" are explicitly on-topic here. – Ben Miller - Remember Monica Sep 25 '18 at 0:39
  • 1
    @Lawrence Companies that sell door to door using high pressure sales tactics to lock people into difficult to cancel contracts that provide sub-standard service at high rates are scams in my book. What honest company would try to lock in a customer for five years of home alarm monitoring? – David Schwartz Sep 25 '18 at 3:36

The FTC has a "Cooling-Off Rule" which gives you the right to cancel a sale made at your home for 3 business days after the sale. According to the FTC website, Saturday is considered a business day, but Sunday is not. By my count, if the sale was made on Thursday last week, then today (Monday) is the third business day, and you would need to cancel by midnight tonight.

In addition, the FTC requires home solicitation sales agents to inform you about your right to cancel. They are required to give you two copies of a cancellation form. I'm guessing that that didn't happen, or you would have known this already. On that FTC article is a link for reporting an FTC violation.

If they didn't give you a cancellation form, I'd say your best bet is to call them up and cancel over the phone. Perhaps in addition, you can send them a letter and see if you can get it in the mail today (ideally) or tomorrow.

  • You are correct, they did not inform me of any right to cancel or leave a cancellation form. As well as contacting the FTC should I reverse the monitoring fee charge? I imagine signing the paperwork would be an even bigger mistake also. – LordMartlet Sep 25 '18 at 0:53
  • @LordMartlet It is likely too early to try to dispute the charge on your credit card, as the transaction is probably still pending. In addition, at this point you have legitimately agreed to the charge, so disputing the charge is not appropriate yet. I think you'll need to talk to them first, tell them you want to cancel, and see what they say before deciding what to do next. – Ben Miller - Remember Monica Sep 25 '18 at 0:57
  • 5
    Consider suggesting email as well so the OP has something concrete to show the FTC about his attempt to cancel within the cooling-off period. – Lawrence Sep 25 '18 at 1:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.