What topics can I ask about here?
Personal Finance and Money Stack Exchange is for people who want to be financially literate, find ways to save money, minimize taxes, invest wisely, plan for retirement, etc. Also for financially-savvy amateurs, DIY-investors & personal finance pros.
If you have a question about:
Saving, Investing, & Trading
- Personal investing and asset allocation
- Best practices for saving for retirement, education, and other goals
- Insurance, including life, home, auto, health
- Use of software for managing one's finances. (Not recommendations, just questions regarding specific software)
- Securities trading and investing, whether long- or short-term, as practiced by retail traders and investors. (Excludes specific security recommendations, stock tips/discussion, forecasts.)
- Investing and trading strategies, including fundamental and technical analysis and other techniques, as practiced by retail traders and investors. (again excluding specific recommendations and evaluation of conditions)
- The financial aspects of home buying
- Strategies for creating and sticking to a budget
- Strategies for saving more money
- Consumer issues or consumer protections
- Taxes as they pertain to an individual's return
- When to incorporate to protect your work or assets
...then you've come to the right place - we want to help you!
What about other money and finance related questions?
Please note that the following subjects are considered off-topic here:
- Questions about corporate or government finance
- Questions about economics that are academic or have no bearing on personal finance (Economics site)
- Questions about accounting that are academic or have no bearing on personal finance
- Questions about Bitcoin (or other crypto-currencies) that have no bearing on personal finance. (Bitcoin site)
- Argumentative questions about personal finance or government policy
- Requests for specific service provider recommendations; e.g. asking where to get a loan, what broker to use, etc.
- Requests for specific investment buy/sell advice; e.g. "should I sell X?" or "should I buy Y?" or "will X continue to go up?"
- Questions about shopping; e.g. "where can I buy the cheapest X?"
- Questions about gambling or wagering
- Questions about small business that have no bearing on personal finance
If you have a question about a small business, please make sure it directly involves personal finance.
What about "Homework" questions?
Homework questions are not automatically considered off-topic for this site just by virtue of being homework. However, these questions should meet the same standards as any other question on the site. In particular they should...
- On Topic - Related to Personal Finance
- Show some effort to solve it on your own (Don't copy/paste the question from the assignment)
- Be general enough to be of use to the rest of the community. (Don't post questions like "What is the NPV of $400 over 20 periods at 4%..."
- Please do not add a homework tag to these questions.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Personal Finance and Money Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.