Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
How can I fix a mistake I made on my income tax filing? [US]

So I just did some recalculating on my taxes and realized that I made a gross error (in my favor fortunately). What are the proper steps to fixing this?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by msemack, Peter K., Dheer, Alex B Jun 15 '11 at 20:30

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 5 down vote accepted

In the US, you just file an amended return. TurboTax will even do it (probably other tax software will too). See for details.

If you discover an error after your return has been mailed, you may need to amend your return. The service center may correct errors in math on a return and may accept returns with certain forms or schedules left out. In these instances, do not amend your return! However, do file an amended return if your filing status, your income, your deductions or credits are incorrect

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.