Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I worked both in the US and Canada last year, while being resident in only one country. Am I required to report all of my income from both countries to both governments, or is there some rule or guideline about which income to report where?

share|improve this question
Just a quick note that you're starting your tax planning awfully close to the deadlines in both countries. – fideli Apr 12 '11 at 20:53
In which country are you a resident? Is your employment with the same company (US-based or CA-based)? Or did you work for two different companies in the same year (one in US, one in CA)? – harwig Apr 14 '11 at 16:04
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Canada and the United States have a tax treaty, meaning that if you are resident in only one country, under most circumstances you would declare income only in the country of residence.

The raw information can be found here on the Canadian Department of Finance Web Site:

The IRS info is here:

The information is very technical. I would recommend that you speak with an accountant, particularly if you're talking large sums of money.

A less technical summary from the US Treasury:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.