Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm a non-US resident alien, considering to invest in either commission-free ETFs and Mutual Funds offered by TD Ameritrade.

According to The American Jobs Creation Act of 2004, certain type of dividends from dividends are exempted from the 30% tax withholding. Does this apply to ETFs as well?

share|improve this question
Non resident as in "I don't have a green card, but I'm on H1/L1 status" or "non resident for tax purposes because I'm a tourist/student/not in the US"? – littleadv Jul 19 '11 at 2:00
I'm not in the US (and never been). – ASF Apr 21 '13 at 10:08
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Does my prior answer here to a slightly different question help at all?

Are there capital gains taxes or dividend taxes if I invest in the U.S. stock market from outside of the country?

share|improve this answer
Been away for quite some time. But yeah the link is very informative.Thanks :) – ASF Apr 17 '13 at 11:41
From IRS perspective ETF is treated as mutual fund it seems. – ASF Apr 21 '13 at 10:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.