Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I went to my Credit Union yesterday and I asked them if they offer a checking and/or saving account in Canadian Dollars. Unfortunately, they don't offer such account.

Where can I open one? Is it possible?


share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Chris W. Rea, Brick, Dheer, Victor, JoeTaxpayer Dec 27 '15 at 19:04

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product or service recommendations are off-topic because they tend to become obsolete quickly. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve." – Chris W. Rea, Community, Dheer, Victor, JoeTaxpayer
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Where are you located? I know of several banks that offer this, but they operate in only parts of the country. – Matthew Read Jan 9 '11 at 21:36
Matt: Washington State – Martin Jan 9 '11 at 23:26
Note that besides a CAD-denominated savings account, you might also be able to buy Canadian money-market funds with USD from a brokerage (or with CAD; I know E*Trade offers access to Canadian exchanges from their global-trading account, and I assume there's some money-market funds you can get there. Of course, you'll have to pay a small markup on the currency exchange for that.) They're not exactly the same and are a hair riskier (you can, theoretically, lose a small portion of your money in a big crisis) but they should have similar performance characteristics. – fennec Jan 15 '11 at 22:45
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I'd look into HSBC. They operate in Washington as well as across the border in BC. If you can't open a CAD account locally, they can help you open and manage one in Canada from the US. It may or may not require having a small business account instead of a personal account.

If you can make the trip to BC yourself, I'd recommend opening an account with TD. They are apparently the only Canadian bank that will allow non-residents/citizens to open an account. The customer service is great and they have a good online banking site that should allow you to manage it from the US.

share|improve this answer

Everbank has offered accounts in foreign currencies for a while.

Takes a while to get it setup; and moving cash in and out is via wire transfer. Also you need to park $5K in USD in a money market account; which you use as a transfer point.

share|improve this answer

Give Harris Bank a call; they might be able to help you

As of August 21, 2015, Harris bank does NOT offer Canadian dollar accounts in the U.S.

share|improve this answer
To add to Michael's answer: Harris Bank is owned by a large Canadian bank, Bank of Montreal (BMO). – Chris W. Rea Jan 10 '11 at 14:24
It's Midwest-based with no branches in Washington. – Matthew Read Jan 12 '11 at 17:39

Royal Bank in Canada can open an account for you in the US through RBC (the US affiliate to Royal Bank of Canada) I think it's called RBC Access USA.

share|improve this answer

Canada, like other second-rate economies with weak currencies, provides USD accounts. It is not the same vice versa. It is rare to find a direct deposit foreign currency account in the US as it is the world-leading currency.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.