Take the 2-minute tour ×
Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am currently working as U.S. DoD contractor in Afghanistan. I arrive in Afghanistan late October 2010. I will be over here until at least October 2011. I know that when working overseas for 330 days or more, the first about 90 thousand dollars are tax-free.

What I don't know is how to fill my tax for the 2010 year. At the end of the year, I wouldn't have been over here for more than 330 days. So I wont get the tax break. At least that is how I understand it. Is this correct? If so, will I receive my take break for the 2011 year if I am not overseas for more than 330 days of 2011? Even if I have served overseas 330 days of the last 365 days?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

My husband had this come up when he went to Kuwait from August2006 - August 2007. Its all based on the percentage of the time. So say the first 90k is taxfree. If you were there 3 months of that tax year then 25% of 90,000 is your "tax-free" income and the rest of the money earned in those 3 months is taxed at the appropriate tax bracket rate. Then the following year you take the other 75% (67,500) free and tax the rest. You will have to pay your estimated taxes and file an extension for the first year so that you can prove the 330/365 days to the IRS. Get a really good accountant or you will still be paying taxes and penalties years later like we are.

share|improve this answer
    
Thank you so much... I heard stories what I need to do, but never got any answer with proof. Thank you so much. –  SgtOJ Dec 15 '10 at 20:14

I guess you've read the article Summary of Afghanistan Income Tax Law: Focus on Individuals ?

share|improve this answer
    
I hadn't check it out before you posted. However, I did check it out afterwards. I read it. Not really what I am looking for. Also, I am pretty sure it is out of date. I believe that document was dated April 2005. Though I really do appreciate your assistants. Thank you. –  SgtOJ Nov 24 '10 at 8:52
1  
While this link may answer the question, it is better to include the essential parts of the answer here and provide the link for reference. Link-only answers can become invalid if the linked page changes. –  C. Ross Aug 30 '12 at 0:41

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.