Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can I report tax after April 15, if I am sure I have overpaid my federal tax (U.S.) and state tax (MD)?

What harm will that cause?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

From the article IRS Offers Tips for Taxpayers Who Missed the Tax Deadline

The IRS has some advice for taxpayers who missed the tax filing deadline.

File as soon as possible. If you owe federal income tax, you should file and pay as soon as you can to minimize any penalty and interest charges. There is no penalty for filing a late return if you are due a refund.

share|improve this answer
thanks. so it doesn't matter if I don't file an extension? – Tim Apr 3 '14 at 11:53
On the chance that you miscalculated, and actually have a tiny bit due, I recommend sending in the extension. But the direct answer to you is 'no' if you are certain you have a refund, the form doesn't matter. – JoeTaxpayer Apr 3 '14 at 12:01
But check the state rules. You could be due a refund from the IRS, but owe the state money. – mhoran_psprep Apr 3 '14 at 12:48
+1 (and I have deleted my incorrect answer). But does this mean that if a refund is due year after year, then the taxpayer need never file a tax return as long as the taxpayer is willing to forego the refund? Will the IRS file a pro forma return on behalf of the taxpayer and refund what the IRS thinks is due (along with interest) or will the IRS demand that the taxpayer file a return when it matches up the W-2's and the 1099s and discovers that the return is missing? – Dilip Sarwate Apr 3 '14 at 13:21
An interesting continuation of the question. I'm speculating, but I imagine that one can fly under the radar for quite some time if they overpay their taxes and never bother. In the strictest sense of the term, they've paid their taxes. At some point, what you suggest may happen, returns with the known W2 info and a note from Uncle Sam. – JoeTaxpayer Apr 3 '14 at 13:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.