Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

One of my bank accounts earned $1.50 for the entire year. Because the amount is under $10 they did not send a 1099-INT form.

Is this bank policy or IRS policy? Does that $1.50 need to be reported?

I'm not worried about the difference that this small amount makes on my taxes bur rather what is legally required.

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

IRS doesn't require 1099 to be filed for payments of less than $10. It is, however, taxable income.

The fact that 1099 wasn't filed with the IRS doesn't affect your tax liabilities.

If for example you have a private loan (say to a family member) and get paid interest on it, the payer will also probably not file 1099-INT with the IRS. However the interest you're being paid is taxable income to you and should be reported on Schedule B.

share|improve this answer
There's no need for schedule B unless your interest or dividends go over $1500. – jonsca Mar 27 '14 at 11:01
@jonsca there are additional requirements to when Schedule B is required, not just the $1500. But in any case, even without Schedule B, you still put the amounts on your 1040 (line 8). I suggest always attaching schedule B - no harm in having it. – littleadv Mar 27 '14 at 16:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.