Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On the "tip" in the instructions for Line 32, it says If you made any nodeductible contributions to a traditional IRA for 2013, you must report them on Form 8606.

What are nondeductible contributions?

share|improve this question

If you make a contribution to a regular IRA (not a Roth IRA) it might be tax deductible depending on your income, and if your employer has a qualified retirement program (like a 401k) or your spouses employer. If you exceed the limits your contributions are reduced or non deductible.

See the IRS website Retirement Topics - IRA Contribution Limits for details.

share|improve this answer

If you go further down the 1040 instructions, it goes into the IRA Deduction Worksheet (for Line 32). It considers your filing status, AGI, retirement plan coverage, certain above the line deductions, wages and earned income, to determine whether your contributions are deductible. It limits the ability of high earners who have a retirement plan at work to use the IRA deduction.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.