Take the 2-minute tour ×
Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a will from father to 3 daughters (I don't have a son), I can make a will giving equal shares to my 3 daughters. But, one of my son-in-law is giving me 50% of the total cost of the flat to purchase the same.

Can I add his name also in the will along with my 3 daughters? His share will be 50% and the rest of the 50% would belong to my three daughters sharing equally i.e. 1/3 each.

Arithmetically 50% in favor of only one son-in-law, and 16.333% each in favor of 3 daughters. Totaling to 100% to be divided as mentioned above.

Can I add the name of my son-in-law who has contributed the amount for the purchase of the flat? Is it OK, in the will?

share|improve this question
What country? Rules & Law would vary. –  Dheer Feb 13 at 8:08
This is a legal question, not a financial one, and I vote to close. –  Dilip Sarwate Feb 14 at 3:06
add comment

2 Answers

In most countries this should't be an issue you can make such or similar provision. Its best to talk to a lawyer to get the wording right.

share|improve this answer
Dheer is correct; seek a lawyer. This sounds very straight-forward, and shouldn't take the lawyer very long at all. –  ChrisInEdmonton Feb 13 at 15:04
add comment

You can set up a will to offer whatever fraction of your assets you wish.

To handle this for a longer duration, I'd suggest specifying alternate beneficiaries. Be clear, if your Son-in-law passes before you do, who gets that portion? If your daughters plan to marry or are married, how will their inheritance pass?

A bit of extra thought can make the time you should spend grieving be just that, and not an urgent call to the lawyer with updates.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.