Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I bought my house in 2008. I took the $7,500 credit. I remembered that I have payed $500 each year in 1040.

Now I have to fill the tax form this year. How to fill the two textboxs.

tax form

share|improve this question
Good question Love! – C. Ross Feb 27 '13 at 15:10
up vote 4 down vote accepted

From my friends at

The credit operates much like an interest-free loan, because it must be repaid over a 15-year period. So, for example, an eligible taxpayer who buys a home today and properly claims the maximum available credit of $7,500 on his or her 2008 federal income tax return must begin repaying the credit by including one-fifteenth of this amount, or $500, as an additional tax on his or her 2010 return.

So, $7500 in first field, and you 'should' have paid $500 in 2010 and 2011, or $1000 total in second field.

share|improve this answer
So the second field is 4*$500 =2000, which includes year 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011? – Love Feb 26 '13 at 21:55
Read the IRS doc I linked to. It says that if you took the credit in 2008, you started to pay it back in 2010. So 2010 + 2011 = $1000 in second field – JoeTaxpayer Feb 27 '13 at 5:06
Thank you very much. The above plan is based on the joint filing. If I want to separate filing, should I divide it between me and my wife? – Love Mar 2 '13 at 15:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.