Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Here's the situation: I'm French and I was legally employed by a US company but working remotely from France until Dec 30th, 2012. I arrived in the US on Dec 30.

I was on the company's payroll for this whole period, and had taxes withheld based on a non-resident status (no deduction allowed).

So I now need to file my taxes. The problem is, I don't understand why I should even pay taxes in the US. Even though I was working for an American company on US business stuff (nothing related to France whatsoever), my fiscal domicile was in France, so I should only pay taxes in France, right?

So, in my tax return, can I say that I had no US revenue at all during this whole year?


share|improve this question

There's nothing wrong with your reasoning except that you expect the tax laws to make perfect sense. More often than not they don't.

I suggest getting in touch with a professional tax preparer (preferably with a CPA or EA designation), who will be able to understand the issue, including the relevant portions of the French-US tax treaty, and explain it to you.

You will probably also need to do some reporting in France, so get a professional advice from a French tax professional as well.

So, in my tax return, can I say that I had no US revenue at all during this whole year?

I doubt it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.