Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Recently our accountant filed a tax return as married for my partner and me (we live together). She is applying for FAFSA and is not sure whether she should be reflecting her marital status from our tax return. Our accountant explained that since we share an asset (home), our state basically considers us in a civil union. However, if she files FAFSA single, she's being asked for the adjusted gross income of our combined fax return. Would it be beneficial to amend our tax return so that she would be more eligible for FAFSA aid?

share|improve this question
owning a house = married? What state is it? – littleadv Feb 20 '13 at 23:36
@littleadv Illinois. House is under both our names. – Kermit Feb 20 '13 at 23:37
According to this link, there's no "common law" marriage in Illinois...… – littleadv Feb 20 '13 at 23:49

It sounds like it would be worth it for you to get a second opinion from a different accountant. Hopefully that second opinion will correctly determine whether or not filing as married was the correct thing. If Illinois doesn't have common law marriage or civil unions, your first accountant may have erred in having you file as married.

I don't know if you can (or should) submit multiple federal forms with different marital statuses.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.