Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently noticed some charges on my Visa check card that were made in another state and were not authorized by me. I filled out and sent in my bank's Visa dispute form, but they told me that it couldn't be processed since it was beyond the 60-day window. Do I have any way to recover that money?

share|improve this question
check local consumer protection laws. What country are you talking about? – littleadv Jan 10 '13 at 17:54

At this point your only option is to contact the merchant and ask for a refund.

I personally keep a separate ledger (using GnuCash) and balance my statements to it every month; doing so will alert you to unauthorized transactions within the timeframe where you can still dispute them.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.