Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am considering purchasing a property in another country as a vacation home. I'll continue to live in the US (nation of citizenship), but may consider using the foreign home as a retirement locale, too, in several years.

What type of insurance do I need to purchase on the foreign property? Can I add it to my US policy, or do I need a country-based carrier?

If it matters, the home would be in the Caribbean (haven't picked the exact country yet).

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Can I add it to my US policy, or do I need a country-based carrier?

Adding it to your US policy is highly unlikely. I recently had occasion to rent an apartment in a different state in the US, and my insurance agent in my home state could neither add this to my home-owner's policy nor write a renter's policy in the other state. I had to get an agent licensed in the other state to write a renter's policy. This was with State Farm, by the way. Maybe other insurance companies march to the beat of a different drummer.

For a policy on property in a different country entirely, I doubt the average insurance agent would have a clue as to what the minimum requirements for a policy are.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.