Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just moved to Norway on a EU fellowship. The contract states that it is not a working contract, but a stipend contract. I know in other European Countries, you don't have to pay tax with this type of contract. Do I have to pay taxes in Norway on this income? If yes, how can I calculate the amount of tax I should pay?

Thank you very much

share|improve this question
Check if your home country has tax treaty with Norway, it is likely to be discussed there. – littleadv Oct 31 '12 at 17:50
Yes there actually is:… But I think you would have to be a lawyer to understand it :( – user000001 Oct 31 '12 at 17:55
Article 20 covers you. You need to talk to a local tax adviser on how to actually claim the benefit (reporting might be required). In the US universities usually have an "international students" office that helps with such matters. – littleadv Oct 31 '12 at 17:57
Thanx for the answer. The only gray area is if they can claim that I am not a "student"... However, one could consider a fellowship as "training" I guess – user000001 Oct 31 '12 at 18:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.