Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the UK, if I am involved in an accident that is not my fault will I lose my No Claims Discount?

If the No Claims Discount is protected, can I still move to another insurer?

share|improve this question
Not yet voted to close, but seems very specific to a specific insurance company policy at a single point in time, not a generally useful question. – sdg Sep 22 '12 at 14:21
feel free to VTC, but I meant it as a general question on area of insurance I find confusing and not well documented. – NikolaiDante Sep 23 '12 at 21:47
@sdg: No claims discount is a general thing in the UK that cuts across all insurers and has been around for many years. Whilst there may not be one answer that applies exactly to every single insurance company, it will be possible to give a broad overview. – Ganesh Sittampalam Sep 24 '12 at 5:17
Just to clarify: No Claims Discounts typically are precisely that: discounts you get for not making claims. It doesn't matter why you didn't, whether that was because you didn't have an accident, because you paid out of your own pocket, or whether someone else paid for your damages. – MSalters Sep 25 '12 at 12:03
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I don't know about the UK (however it should be the same), but in Australia if the accident is not your fault and you are able to prove this (i.e. signed statement from other party, police report, independent witnesses) you should not lose your NCD. You should double check this with your insurer.

If your NCD is protected with your current insurer then even if you are at fault in an accident you should not lose your level of NCD. If you move to another insurer it would depend on the new insurer whether you retain your NCD protection, and it is something you need to check and/or negotiate with them.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.