Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My significant other purchased a spa day-pass from one of those deal-a-day sites (similar to Groupon, but done locally). The spa wouldn't accept the day-pass, so she's trying to get a refund from the deal-a-day site. They are requesting she fill out a W-9 before they refund any money. Their explanation is their parent company requires a W-9 before cutting any check. This doesn't sound appropriate, especially giving them her SSN for a mere refund.

Two questions -

  1. Should a company require a W9 when you haven't done any work for them? I searched their site's terms and conditions and it doesn't list anything about a W9 required for refund.

  2. If we do give them a W9, is that automatically going to cause us to report that as earned income in this years taxes?


share|improve this question
I'd call the credit card company and consider it a fraudulent charge, if it simply wasn't honored. – JoeTaxpayer Aug 31 '12 at 19:11
Didn't think about that. Not sure if it matters, but we've already paid that month's balance off. Worth a phone call, at least. – jas Aug 31 '12 at 19:37
It doesn't matter that you've paid that month's balance off, you can still dispute it (I think you can dispute within 60 days of the transaction, check with your credit card service) – littleadv Aug 31 '12 at 19:59
@fennec Having credit card company sending them a charge-back letter makes wonders to the dispute resolution. They get hefty fines and penalties (including rate increases) based on the amount of charge-backs against them. So once the CC company is involved, they're usually much more willing to resolve the dispute before the CC company makes the decision, than before the CC company involvement. – littleadv Aug 31 '12 at 20:41
I've resolved these kinds of disputes with the CC company with very little hassle in the past. – Sean W. Aug 31 '12 at 21:38

W9 is required for any payments.

However, in your case - these are not payments, but refunds, i.e.: you're not receiving any income from the company that is subject to tax or withholding rules, you're receiving money that is yours already.

I do not think they have a right to demand W9 as a condition of refund, and as Joe suggested - would dispute the charge as fraudulent.

share|improve this answer
Also, if you paid with a credit card, they don't have to 'cut you a check'. They just need to refund the charge and any processor will allow them to do that within 90 days. – Michael Pryor Sep 6 '12 at 18:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.