Take the 2-minute tour ×
Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is it possible to cash a check made to someone else's name? How to do so?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

It's called a 3rd Party check. I was a bank teller in college and I can tell you that generally banks frown upon this (this was 10+ years ago). Today it may be totally against most bank's policies.

share|improve this answer
Hi Bryan. It's typical on these Q&A sites not to stick a signature in the answer itself, but to put your info, like web site address, on your profile page. People often click through to your profile page if they like your answers, so it still gives the intended effect. –  Scott Whitlock May 19 '10 at 10:10
This is funny because I remember being taught how to do this in Middle School. –  Alex B Aug 22 '10 at 20:12
It has been a while since I have done this, but even a few years ago it basically required that the person cashing the check had some history with the bank and enough funds to cover the check. –  George Marian Aug 26 '10 at 1:11
I've done this a number of times recently, mostly to other people, but also from other people. No problems, but always at banks that at least one of us has a decent history with. –  Brian Knoblauch Aug 17 '11 at 13:59
add comment

It's theoretically possible but pretty unlikely that you'll be successful if the check is very big.

This would be done by having the payee endorse the check (sign the back) and below that write "PAY TO THE ORDER OF JOHN SMITH", and then John Smith can endorse and then cash or deposit the check.

share|improve this answer
add comment

In the UK, this is no longer possible.

15 or 20 years ago, it used to be possible by having the original payee sign the back of the cheque. Now, they don't allow that any more; I could not even pay in a cheque made out in my former name after I had changed the name on my account when I got married.

share|improve this answer
The same is true in the U.S.A. re the maiden and married name example you provided. Even a bank where one has a longstanding relationship will not allow this. –  Feral Oink Aug 22 '11 at 22:35
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.