Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I got an IRS letter that states my return does not match the records they have from others. In particular, it shows I reported $0 but they were reported a non-zero amount for taxable retirement income from a rollover IRA. However, in my case, this income is not taxable because I directly rolled it over to my new employer's 401(k). It is listed on my 1040 on line 15a of 2010 1040 with a left column note (put there by TurboTax) that states: "Rollover".

What has gone wrong? Is it that the target of the rollover did not report receiving the funds or that the sender did not properly report it was a direct rollover?

share|improve this question
When was the rollover? Is it Possible that the money was sent by the first one in late December but arrived at the other one in early January? – mhoran_psprep Aug 18 '12 at 15:50
@mhoran_psprep why would that matter? Direct rollover is a transfer between the custodians, its not going through the taxpayers bank account (that's why its called direct) – littleadv Aug 18 '12 at 23:25
This is a records match question. If company A sent it on Friday December 30th 2011, it might not get processed until Tuesday January 3rd 2012. Therefore 2 different tax years. The new company wouldn't tell the IRS until January 2013. – mhoran_psprep Aug 18 '12 at 23:29
doubt its relevant. Deposits are not reported to the IRS by the new company. – littleadv Aug 19 '12 at 0:05
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Talk to the TurboTax support. Generally, I've heard of several similar reports this year where people with 1099-R that had "G" marked properly got similar notices (direct rollover), and it appears to be a glitch in the IRS programming. If this is the case for you, then a simple response explaining that you reported correctly and attaching the copies of the appropriate forms would suffice.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.