Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A friend of mine did not cash her refund cheque from last year as she moved away and forgot to change her address. What is the method for retrieving that refund from the CRA? Would it be possible for them to issue a new cheque or is there a time limit for collecting the refund?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Cheques issued by Canadian Government agencies do not expire. Any financial institution one has a relationship with should be willing to cash the cheque.

Update: If she does not have the cheque she should contact her nearest CRA office about canceling the original and re-issuing another. Specifically in that order, since she would want to avoid this situation where someone else cashed the first cheque and then the recipient ended up in a dispute where the CRA claimed the refund was issued twice and demanded the money back with interest. Good luck!

share|improve this answer
She never received the cheque since she moved out shortly after filing the taxes and forgot to change the address. – fideli Apr 29 '10 at 1:59
That's the same as not having it. Don't forget to change the address when she contacts the CRA. – DJClayworth May 6 '11 at 17:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.