Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I live in Ontario. I made 33,000. For 2012 and am a single mother who paid out $6,540. In child care. How much of the child care expence can I expect to get back???

share|improve this question

The specific information you are looking for is given at

For 2011, the maximum is $7000 for a child born in 2005 or later, with no disability, or $4000 for a child born in 1995 to 2004 with no impairment. Assuming your child was born in 2005 or later, you should be able to claim all $6,540.

I believe this should reduce your taxable income by $6,540. How much you actually get back will depend on your tax bracket. According to, most likely will result in you paying $1,311.27 less in taxes (that is, your total tax owing will go from $4749.93 to $3438.66). That's an estimate and may very well change based on other factors. My math may be wrong, I'm not an accountant, etc. etc.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.