Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm having housing loan but it is not self occupied and I'm staying in rental basis. Can I avail the tax benefit from HRA as well as from housing loan. If so is there any document need to be submitted to income tax department saying that my house is not self occupied.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

If you have housing loan with the house located in City A and you are working/Living in City B, then you can claim both the HRA as per City B norms as well has the rebate on your housing loan.

There is no additional documentation required if you are employed. You would need to inform you employer and he would deduct taxes appropriately.

While filing returns there are separate sections where you would need to fill this up.

If the house you own and house you rent are in same place, then you are out of luck. You cannot claim HRA in such cases.

Attaching some links:

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the guidance. In my case my house is located in City A and working in City B. – vinoth Apr 19 '12 at 5:03

protected by Chris W. Rea Jan 21 '13 at 13:58

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.