Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If my employer requires that I own a laptop and other computer equipment, but does not provide them, am I able to deduct the expense of purchasing the equipment? I know that I definitely would deduct these expenses if I was self-employed.

share|improve this question
Good question, but are you asking about U.S.? Canada? Tax questions are country-specific. – Chris W. Rea Apr 13 '10 at 17:50
ah right, thanks - added united-states tag – cabbagecalculator Apr 13 '10 at 18:13
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It looks like you can. Take a look at these articles:

But of course, go to the source:

From publication 529:

You can deduct certain expenses as miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040 or Form 1040NR). You can claim the amount of expenses that is more than 2% of your adjusted gross income. You figure your deduction on Schedule A by subtracting 2% of your adjusted gross income from the total amount of these expenses. Your adjusted gross income is the amount on Form 1040, line 38, or Form 1040NR, line 36.

I hope that helps. Happy deducting!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.