Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My parents are 83+, and became U.S. citizens back in 2001. They were born as Indian citizens. They moved to the USA after they retired in India. Will they be entitled to receive any monthly payments from the U.S. Government, such as Social Security or other pension/benefit payments? Thanks for any response.

share|improve this question

No. Regardless of citizenship, you need to have paid into the social security system for 10 years or more to be eligible to collect a retirement benefit. This is measured in the form of "credits" -- you earn one credit for each quarter of a year that you work. You need 40 credits to earn a retirement.

If they are deemed to be disabled or have a qualifying medical condition, they may be eligible for SSI or SSDI.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.