Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If someone is going to undergo a major dental/medical procedure ($40k+), is there any way to deduct the money paid for the procedure, or at least part of it?

share|improve this question
Is the procedure in question considered medically advisable or necessary, or is it cosmetic surgery? – Chris W. Rea Jan 12 '12 at 19:07
@ChrisW.Rea There are multiple points of infection. I'm not sure if it's "technically" considered medically advisable. The person is opting for implants over extraction. – David Jan 12 '12 at 19:16
@David IMHO implants are considered "advisable". Verify with your doctor. I had one covered in full by insurance (which means that it would be tax deductible without the insurance). – littleadv Jan 12 '12 at 19:36
up vote 6 down vote accepted

If medical, not cosmetic, you can deduct medical expenses to the extent they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

Note: it's been announced that starting in 2013 the deduction is for amounts exceeding 10% of AGI.

share|improve this answer

Does your company offer a Medical Savings Account? That can allow you to reduce your taxable income. You normally have to join during "open season".

Another option is Medical and Dental Expenses above 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. This is a high hurdle to meet, and only reduces your taxes by the tax rate x the amount your bills exceed 7.5%

share|improve this answer
Unfortunately the open season is closed, and 40k+ is a bit too much to add to the MSA. Plus, the MSA/HSA max is ~3k, which is far less than the $40k+ that will be paid. – David Jan 12 '12 at 19:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.