Personal Finance & Money Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who want to be financially literate. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I amend an IRS tax form 8606 (Nondeductible IRAs)? The form has a signature line, allowing it to be filed by itself, but I already filed one for the year in question and now need to amend it to make a correction. How can I do this? Do I just file another form 8606, or must I do a 1040-X? Do I also send this amended form 8606 to my state of California? Note that my 1040 remains unchanged with the update to the form 8606.

share|improve this question
If you amend the form and any of the lines taken to 1040 change - you have to file 1040X. In this case you also have to send the form to Cali (They require copies of anything that triggered the amendment). However I have no idea if you can change a 8606 after it has been submitted, so not posting it as an answer... – littleadv Dec 5 '11 at 22:20
My 1040 is unchanged with the amendment. – WilliamKF Dec 5 '11 at 23:19
up vote 1 down vote accepted

From the Instructions for Form 8606:

Amending Form 8606

After you file your return, you can change a nondeductible contribution to a traditional IRA to a deductible contribution or vice versa. You also may be able to make a recharacterization (see page 3). If necessary, complete a new Form 8606 showing the revised information and file it with Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.